Saturday, October 22, 2011

OCTOBER OUTSIDE.

Last weekend I couldn't help myself from taking a trip to Russell Orchards.  The day was one of those brilliant fall days where the wind and the sunshine are perfect and you can smell both growth and harvest at the same time.  I sat by the pumpkins for a while, catching up on reading and listening to people choose pumpkins together.

Everyone knew exactly what they were looking for in a pumpkin.  I don't think anyone would be able to describe it, but they sure did know it when they saw it.

It was amazing, how sure people could be that they'd found the one.

I picked up a few treats while I was there: apple cider donuts (a fall necessity), mulled apple cider (to fight the brisk wind), a variety of apples grown right there and a bottle of strawberry-rhubarb wine.

It started to rain after about 2 hours, so I left and took a drive.
I felt so grounded and refreshed by the colors of marsh and fall and rain.  
Crane Property, Ipswich, MA

2 comments:

  1. So pretty!
    I'm envious. I have yet to go apple picking/get cider doughnuts or do anything fall-ish like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now that is a lot of pumpkins. They make a very pretty picture, especially with the obliging fowl.

    ReplyDelete